Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Snuggles with Jack


Jack is becoming quite the snuggle bug. He loves laying next to me while I watch tv at night. He even let my son snuggle up next to him. I think mostly because he had goldfish crackers. I told my son he could give him just a couple. I wanted to see if he would take them from him. So Jack stretched out his neck ever so slowly, sniffed the cracker, then very gently took just one. Such a polite boy.  We are learning that Jack is afraid of men mostly. He is warming up to my husband and two teenage boys that are probably still men in his eyes since they are tall and have deep voices now.   
Best buddies cheering on the Pack!

 We are also working on hand feeding him so that he knows that not all men are bad. He wouldn't eat from my husbands hand at first or even from the bowl when placed in front of him if my husband was sitting near by. Slowly but surely we are gaining ground. This morning my husband sat next to Jack in his favorite spot by the window and Jack actually ate from the bowl. He is still refusing to eat from his hand.  He has taken some kibble from my son's hand with me right by his side.  It just takes time. So please know that if you are interested in adopting Jack he will most likely shut down all over again. That's what happens with change in a dogs life. Especially for those that are already so scared of everything and everyone.  It will take not only love, but time and patience.  Also persistence and consistency.  

Nap time.

Last night we stayed up late watching the Packer game. Well, Jack and I fell asleep on the couch. My husband tried to wake us up but we were just so comfy we stayed there together. After a few hours I woke up very sore and decided I needed my bed. Not wanting to wake up the entire family I decided to give Jack a test run and let him stay on the couch. Otherwise Jack barks for a while in the kennel.  I put the garbage can in the bathroom so that he wouldn't knock it over again.  Well, I learned my lesson. Even though he is short he can still grab things off the counter and managed to get my prescription sunglasses, box of zip lock bags, and other items. He will get kenneled from now on. It was my fault for thinking that he would just sleep.  Dogs get bored and the house was quiet. Perfect time to see what all those good smells are coming from the kitchen. Don't worry. He didn't eat anything. Just chewed up my glasses and the box containing the bags.  

Besides needing to kennel him when your gone and at night he is a pretty easy dog. He is learning to not be afraid of everything. The more exposure to the world the better. I take him to work with me where he meets new dogs all the time. He's not at the point of playing with anyone yet. My dog Badger has tried so hard by biting him on the neck, well more like chewing and laying down on his back right in front of him. One of these days Jack will feel confident enough to play. I can see the light in his eyes coming back. 

 He is a curious boy and is venturing further and further from me. This is a good thing. If he gets spooked he will come running.  That is happening less and less. I am going out with him for a few reasons. One, that I know he has actually done his business and two for his safety.  I don't want to take the chance that he gets tangled on something and gets loose. We do have an electric fence but even if he was my dog I would wait a while to train him on that. He has to know me and my family and trust in all of us.

Here is a short video of Jack starting to venture off further from me. Such a cutie! 



Jack is such a sweet boy that is potty trained, doesn't mind cats rubbing up on him, and is ok with other dogs. He's not a fan of big dogs but is getting used to them. He will growl a little if a larger dog comes up to his face or if they are sniffing him too long. He is learning how to meet others and will hopefully start to play soon.

Thanks for thinking rescue!

Saving one dog at a time,
Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. I saw Jack on petfinder. He's the spitting image of my now deceased Phineus.
    He"s clearly bonded with you. I hope you keep him.

    ReplyDelete